WHAT IS THE EXPOSOME?
We tend to think that the skin ages with the passage of time. But did you know that certain factors are more important for skin aging than simple chronology or genetics?
The genome is only responsible for 25% of diseases or aging processes. This explains why two twins, who are genetically identical, can age in radically different ways if they lead a different lifestyle and are not exposed to certain external factors with the same frequency.
You are 75% responsible for your own aging, not just your skin, but the body as a whole.
We call “exposome” to all of these external factors that intervene: environmental and exposure factors to which we are subjected from birth and which are important both for our health and our skin. In other words, if you are able to protect yourself against these factors, your skin will look younger and healthier, regardless of your biological age. At the cutaneous level, the most important factors are solar radiation, pollution, diet, tobacco, stress or lack of sleep. What can we do about it?
- Photoprotection. The best anti-wrinkle cream is the use of sun protection and antioxidant serums on a daily basis, to better combat the effects of this radiation on the skin.
- Avoid environmental pollution. If you live in big cities like Paris, it’s harder to avoid it, hence the importance of several anti-pollution measures and the use of antioxidants to fight it better.
- Diet. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables, packed with colors, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Avoid exposure to toxins such as tobacco or alcohol.
- Avoid stress. It’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be aware that stress ages and makes you sick. Combine moments of relaxation during the day with daily physical exercise such as yoga, meditation or mindfulness. Find out what helps you disconnect and feel less stress. Did you need one more reason to ask your sweetheart for a massage or set aside a few hours to float in a bubble bath?
- Have a good rest . It is important to get at least 7 hours of sleep a day.
Were you aware that the way you age depends largely on the lifestyle you choose to lead? It’s up to you, so choose the best allies to fight the Exposome.
What do you do to relax? Leave a comment. We read you!